Thursday, July 31, 2008

Psalm 6

There are times when as a parent you know your child should be corrected or disciplined. But you also recognize that there are times when there has been so much correction that the child’s tolerance to understand it has reached a threshold that deems the discipline ineffective. Sometimes a hug or a kiss, or a random activity of interaction, will better serve to reinforce the authority and responsibility we have as parents. This is true at times even when disobedience is monumental.

You and I have been there with God ourselves. We knew we could have handled situations differently. We have the knowledge of a particular outcome, and the luxury of hindsight to provide our own canopies of shame. This is the mood I sense in Psalm 6:1-10.

See if you identify with these words: “O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger or discipline me in Your wrath. Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long? Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of Your unfailing love. No one remembers You when he is dead. Who praises You from the grave? I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.”

By now you know the drill. Make it personal: “O LORD, do not rebuke Greg Manuel in Your anger or discipline Greg Manuel in Your wrath. Be merciful to Greg Manuel, LORD, for Greg Manuel is faint; O LORD, heal Greg Manuel, for my bones are in agony. Greg Manuel’s soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long? Turn, O LORD, and deliver Greg Manuel; save Greg Manuel because of Your unfailing love. No one remembers You when he is dead. Who praises You from the grave? Greg Manuel is worn out from groaning; all night long Greg Manuel floods his bed with weeping and drenches his couch with tears. Greg Manuel’s eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from Greg Manuel, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard Greg Manuel’s cry for mercy; the LORD accepts Greg Manuel’s prayer. All Greg Manuel’s enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.”

Blessings and peace be upon you today!

No comments: