Monday, July 28, 2008

Psalm 3

I want you to look at the third Psalm today with me and find strength for the times of your life when those close to you betray you. False accusations, lies, and hurtful actions by strangers bear a safety zone of distance that becomes an insulator from the pain. But the malicious measures of people who have shared the intimacies of your heart inflict a poison that debilitates your emotions in a unique brand of paralysis.

In Psalm 3:1-8, David’s pouring out of his heart when those close to him, his own family members, are trying to destroy him. Listen to his words: “O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, God will not deliver him." Selah. But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from His holy hill. Selah. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people.”

Something that helps me so much is when I make the Psalms personal to me. Insert your own name as I have done and pray this aloud: “O LORD, how many are Greg Manuel’s foes! How many rise up against Greg Manuel! Many are saying of Greg Manuel, God will not deliver him." Selah. But you are a shield around Greg Manuel, O LORD; you bestow glory on Greg Manuel and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers Greg Manuel from His holy hill. Selah. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains Greg Manuel. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against Greg Manuel on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver Greg Manuel, O my God! Strike all Greg Manuel’s enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the LORD comes deliverance for Greg Manuel. May your blessing be on your people.”

Blessings and peace be upon you today!

No comments: