Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Psalm 5

There are times when loudness will not convey your heart. Shouting is most often associated with aggression. I believe there are times when our worship must be aggressive. Situations of desperation or declaration demand at times the forceful, assertive, even insistent involvement of our physical being to engage worship at a level that is purposed to our moment. But sometimes, to reach the hidden chambers of our guarded issues, we need to speak softly to the place of our greatest confidence.

Psalm 5:1-12, is a worship selection that David wrought exclusively for flutes. The music of flutes is by nature soft and soothing. This Psalm was meant to be sung in the quiet voice of an intimate friend speaking softly to his most trusted source of strength.

Read these words from Psalm 5, with that in mind: “Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray. In the morning, O LORD, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with You the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors. But I, by Your great mercy, will come into Your house; in reverence will I bow down toward Your holy temple. Lead me, O LORD, in Your righteousness because of my enemies—make straight Your way before me. Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit. Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against You. But let all who take refuge in You be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them that those who love Your name may rejoice in You. For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield.

Now say them softly in the most personal manner by inserting your name: “Give ear to Greg Manuel’s words, O LORD, consider Greg Manuel’s sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You Greg Manuel prays. In the morning, O LORD, You hear my voice; in the morning Greg Manuel lays my requests before You and wait in expectation. You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with You the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all who do wrong. You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors. But Greg Manuel, by Your great mercy, will come into Your house; in reverence will Greg Manuel bow down toward Your holy temple. Lead Greg Manuel, O LORD, in Your righteousness because of my enemies—make straight Your way before Greg Manuel. Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit. Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against You. But let Greg Manuel who takes refuge in You be glad; let Greg Manuel ever sing for joy. Spread Your protection over Greg Manuel that those who love Your name may rejoice in You. For surely, O LORD, You bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield.

Blessings & peace be upon you today!

No comments: