Thursday, August 14, 2008

Psalm 16

We have to stop offering sacrifice to the gods of this world! Where we live there are churches everywhere. But for every church, there are hundreds of altars. Places of worship built to offer our lives to the gods of this world. It’s strange that we spend two to four hours each week at our churches, but dozens of hours in the same weekly period at our altars! I am not even going into the many altars we worship at each week-we both know what they are and how much time we spend at them.

God is the only One worthy of our worship. Psalm 16:1-11 makes this so clear, “Keep me safe, O God, for in You I take refuge. I said to the LORD, ‘You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing.’ As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. I will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because You will not abandon me to the grave, nor will You let Your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.”

We have to make this personal. Put your name in this Psalm where you see mine as you say it aloud, “Keep Greg Manuel safe, O God, for in You I take refuge. I said to the LORD, ‘You are Pastor Greg Manuel’s Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.’ As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. The sorrows of those will increase who run after other gods. Greg Manuel will not pour out their libations of blood or take up their names on my lips. LORD, you have assigned Pastor Greg Manuel my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for Greg Manuel in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Pastor Greg Manuel will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. Greg Manuel has set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, Greg Manuel will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because You will not abandon Pastor Greg Manuel to the grave, nor will You let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to Greg Manuel the path of life; You will fill Pastor Greg Manuel with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand.”

Blessings and peace be upon you today.

No comments: