Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Psalm 13

One of the life’s painful processes is that of being misunderstood. The very word, “misunderstood” implies that somehow understanding was missed. Being misunderstood has little to do with failed instructions or communication failure. Misunderstanding is commonly the product of unspoken expectations and perceived purpose.

Have you been misunderstood lately? Have you felt that there was a misunderstanding between you and God? I know it seems silly to even think that one could have a misunderstanding with God. But look at that question in the context of unspoken expectations and perceived purpose. Isn’t this where we “misunderstand” God? The life processes we go through in our journey on this earth can be filled with spiritual misunderstandings if we expect God to be something other than His word declares, or we believe our purpose to be different from God’s will.

Maybe that’s how we develop our enemies. Maybe we identify those who don’t understand our misunderstandings, as enemies. It is out of the life processes we endure that our friends and enemies are labeled. Is it ever really fair to eternally label someone while they are in a temporary transition?

David reveals his pain of misunderstanding God in the 13th Psalm. The mental anguish of people deliberately attempting to inflict pain on our lives can be debilitating; even more so when you and I perceive personal attacks as the willful silence of God to withhold vindication from us.
Psalm 13:1-6 reflects the pain of not understanding the processes of David’s life. Listen to this heart cry, “How long, O LORD ? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.”

Let’s make this Psalm personal. Insert your name where you see mine and pray this aloud, How long, O LORD ? Will you forget Pastor Greg Manuel forever? How long will you hide your face from Greg Manuel? How long must Pastor Greg Manuel wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over Greg Manuel? Look on Pastor Greg Manuel and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or Greg Manuel will sleep in death; my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when Greg Manuel falls. But Pastor Greg Manuel trusts in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. Greg Manuel will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

Blessings and peace be upon you today.

No comments: