Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Graduation Gifts

I only have one child left in High School so my requirements to that institution are diminishing. Except, at this time of year when Graduation Ceremonies take place. As a Pastor I am still a bit old fashioned in that I like to watch the High School Graduates in our church walk across the stage and receive their Diploma. I think maybe I get a little humor at their expense when I hear their name called to make their grand exit from High School by allowing myself this one thought, “You have no idea what you are in for!”

This year I was privileged to enjoy that thought six times in the various ceremonies we attended. But there was one that left an indelible impression on me. One particular ceremony allowed me to witness the Love of God in a tangible manner.

One of the young Graduates in our church was adopted at birth by a loving family that has served God with their lives. The child was raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and given a life of security and advancement. Recently the young teen expressed a desire to meet her “birth” Mother. Her parents allowed the process to unfold at its own pace.

When my wife and I arrived to sit with the family at the Graduation Ceremony we were introduced to the Graduate’s “birth” Mother. I thought how incredible it was for the parents to extend this invitation to a woman they had met through paperwork only, eighteen years ago. We extended the proper greetings and then took our seat. I was moved by the compassion this family was living out before me.

As the ceremony progressed, the “birth” Mother was overcome with emotion and was visibly shaken. It was then I saw the Love of God. The parents moved from their seats to put their arms around the “birth” Mother and sit with her the rest of the ceremony. As they consoled her with their love I could sense the presence of God smiling in adoration of the scene, and the hearts of the Godly parents whose only motivation was the same on that day as it was eighteen years ago; thankfulness and gratitude for the gift of life and love they had experienced in the child they were given.

The night went on with dinner and festivities but as I write these words today I am still moved by the gifts we each hold, that we never give. Who could you reach out to in love today? Who could you extend the gift of forgiveness to right now with a simple phone call? Which relative could receive a letter of apology from you today and be set free from years of anguish? We all have gifts to give, why not release them today?

No comments: